Our client is a mid sized firm in downtown San Francisco. They have a friendly family style environment and culture with extremely low turnover. As of the firms founding over 40 years ago they have always been committed to community involvement and actively promoting this within the firm. It is hard to find a more inclusive progressive law firm in the industry.
Full Time, Non-Exempt, reports to the Director of Finance
Performs a variety of advanced accounting and finance duties. Maintains positive contact with attorneys, support staff and clients; observes confidentiality of personnel and firm matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review, verify and process all vendor invoices, check requests, petty cash requests and credit card bills.
- Assign general ledger and 1099 codes to items being paid.
- Prepare check runs.
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute or mail checks accordingly.
- Prepare and process electronic transfers and payments.
- Research and resolve vendor invoice discrepancies and issues.
- Maintain vendor files, include W-9s.
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries.
- Prepare and upload Positive Pay files for bank and attend to any exceptions.
- Clear checks on firm’s bank accounts.
- Assist in preparation of 1099-MISC annually.
- Provide supporting documentation for audits or other financial analysis.
- Prepare analysis of accounts as requested by Director of Finance.
- Prepare, edit and send client invoices for assigned billing attorneys ensuring compliance with both firm and client billing guidelines.
- Prepare coded monthly fee write off report for assigned billing attorneys.
- Prepare accruals as requested by attorneys and clients.
- Prepare progress bills and historical bills as requested.
- Maintain attorney lists, rates, accruals and budgets as required by clients’ e-billing systems.
- Resolve billing issues as requested by client, attorneys and accounting staff.
- Review and analyze client trust balances and unapplied payments.
- Support and assist other accounting staff as necessary.
ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to work flexibly and proactively with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable, well organized.
- Desire to learn and cross-train in various accounting functions.
- Superior communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow through on assigned tasks.
- Good judgment and observance of confidential nature of all accounting records.
- Integrate with and support the entire accounting team.
- Proficient in Excel and Word, 10-key by touch.
- Strong problem solving skills, basic accounting principles knowledge, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of four years of accounting experience in a law firm or other professional services setting
- High School diploma or equivalent; college level accounting courses preferred
- Knowledge of Rippe & Kingston LMSV Financial Software or equivalent electronic law firm financial and accounting systems
Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. This is a non-exempt position.